Shabbos Bulletin Parshas Toldos 5778
It’s that Shabbos with the vexing problem again: What to say in bentching of Seudah Shlishis on Shabbos Erev Rosh Chodesh?
- Best Option: Don’t eat “pas” (challah, bread, cake) after sheki’ah, and only say “retzei”.
- Next Option: If you did eat “pas”, but not past 20 minutes after sheki’ah, only say “retzei”.
- If you did eat “pas” past 20 minutes, you have a problem. Aruch HaShulchan says to say only “retzei”, MB says to say only “ya’aleh veyavoh”, or maybe both. So don’t do this. Exercise that self-control muscle that the Chovohs HaLevavohs is always talking about.
As a public service, we will be shortening Minchah by not saying “Tzidkosscho tzedek,” thus enabling everyone to start their seudah shlishis that much earlier.
Shabbos Bulletin Parshas Chayei Sarah 5778
How much time should it take to say pesikei d’zimra?
As much time as necessary to say everything without rushing. Every word should be said slowly and clearly, as if one was counting money.\
שולחן ערוך אורח חיים הלכות ברכות השחר ושאר ברכות סימן נא סעיף ח
אין אומרים הזמירות (כ) במרוצה, כי אם בנחת.
משנה ברורה סימן נא ס”ק כ
(כ) במרוצה – שלא ידלג שום תיבה ולא יבליעם אלא יוציא מפיו כאלו מונה מעות
שולחן ערוך הרב אורח חיים סימן נג
ויכול להמתין ולשהות אפילו חצי שעה שזהו שיעור כדי לגמור את כל פסוקי דזמרה מברוך שאמר עד סוף ישתבח
Shabbos Bulletin Parshas Vayeira 5778
If one forgot to add in his/her shemonah esrei “kee shem HaShem ekra…” or even “HaShem sefasaiy tiftach…” , he/she should just keep davening.
Shabbos Bulletin Parshas Lech Lecha 5778
It is לכאורה wrong to kiss the Sefer Torah by using a siddur (e.g. touching the Sefer Torah with the siddur and then kissing the siddur). This is an improper use of the siddur.
However, one may use one’s tzitzis.
Shabbos Bulletin Parshas Noach 5778
B’nei Eretz Yisrael start saying v’sain tal u’mattar this Thursday evening at Maariv (Oct. 26, ohr l’7 Marcheshvan). Chu”l people start saying it this year on December 4 at Maariv (it is a Monday night)
If a person forgot to say “v’sain tal u’mattar” in birkas hashanim:
- If he did not yet say the Name of HaShem at the conclusion of the beracha, he should go back to the words”v’sain tal u’mattar” and continue from there.
- If he already said the Name of HaShem, he should continue and say “v’sain…” in the beracha of sh’ma koleinu.
- If he already said the Name of HaShem at the conclusion of the beracha of sh’ma koleinu, but not the next word, he should say “lamdeinu chukecho”, then say “v’sain…” and then continue “ki atta shome’ah…”
- If he said even one word after the shem HaShem of the conclusion of the beracha of sh’ma koleinu, but did not yet start retzei, he should conclude the beracha of shomei’a tefillah, say the phrase “v’sain…”, and then start retzei…
- If he started retzei, he must then go back to the beracha “boreich aleinu” and say shemoneh essrei from there again.
- If he said the yiheyu l’ratzon at the end of shemoneh essrei that he says just before he takes the three steps back, he must repeat the shemoneh esrei over again.
If you (a Ben Eretz Yisrael) are in chu”l between Thursday night and Dec 4:
- If you have begun saying “v’sain…” then continue saying it .
- If you are in chu”l before this coming Thursday night (October 26), then from this coming Thursday night and on say it in “shome’a Tefillah.” (Do this for as long as you are in Chu”l. If you are still in Chu”l on Dec 4, then on this day resume saying it in the correct place).
If you are davening as the sheli’ach tzibbur, always daven with their nussach.